Skip to main content

Can you import a DIY campervan to the United Kingdom

You are here:
Estimated reading time: 2 min

Yes, we can import a DIY campervan to the United Kingdom. Importing a DIY campervan is basically the same as any other car, or motorbike. Although the main difference will come from how you want to register its class.

A motorhome is different to a converted van in the United Kingdom. And as such the paperwork is a little different to get it on the road as a campervan (as opposed to a HGV).

white and orange van on gray asphalt road during daytime

So there are a few things to bear in mind when you are thinking of registering your van here!

We are here to help with every step of the process, but whilst you wait to hear back from our quote here is a little information on how we can help.

Compliance with Regulations:

Just like any other imported campervan, a DIY campervan must meet UK regulations for safety, emissions, and roadworthiness. This may require modifications to the car, especially if it was originally built for a different market.

Most of the time with LHD campervans we will check your lights, weight, speedometer and advise from there.

The regulations are the same as any other car but weight limits are in the United Kingdom for vehicles so that is worth bearing in mind.

Most standard DIY conversions won’t be overweight but it is always worth bearing in mind.


We ensure that you have all the necessary documentation for the DIY campervan, including proof of ownership, conversion details, and any relevant certifications. Clear documentation helps streamline the import process.

We use all of this to register your campervan but we can also assist in the process of getting the vehicle type changed to a campervan.

Inspection and Testing:

Once the DIY campervan arrives in the UK, it may need to undergo inspection and testing to ensure compliance. This could involve emissions testing, safety checks, and other assessments.

It’s actually a great time to get your campervan in tip top shape. We often find that some of things that are an issue are the brakes, weigh limit, and things like insecure exhausts.

Registration and Licensing:

Like any imported car, you’ll need to register and license the DIY campervan with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in the UK. This includes obtaining UK license plates and paying the necessary fees.

We take care of everything for you so that you don’t have to talk to them, and we can even get the application through faster.

Import Duties and Taxes:

Importing a DIY campervan involves import duties and taxes, which can include VAT (Value Added Tax) and other fees. Be sure to factor these costs into your budget.

It’s recommended to work with experts like ourselves, especially if you’re importing a DIY conversion. They can help guide you through the process, ensure compliance with regulations, and provide advice on modifications and documentation.

As regulations and requirements can change, it’s essential to stay informed about the latest rules and guidelines for importing DIY campervans to the UK. Before proceeding with the import, consult official sources, experts, and relevant authorities to ensure a smooth and legal process.

Was this article helpful?
Dislike 0
Views: 280
Get a quote
Get a quote