Skip to main content

Importing your car from Spain to the United Kingdom

Most of the cars we register from Spanish are driven to the UK by their owners and are already here, simply requiring the import registration paperwork to be processed with the DVLA.

We can however handle the whole process of getting your car from Spanish into the United Kingdom if you are not driving your car to the UK.

Our quotes are fully inclusive and based entirely on your requirements. You can find out more about the process of importation of your car on this page, but don’t hesitate to get in touch and speak with a member of staff.

Depending on the location of the car we can either takeover in the UK, with you driving the car back, or we can transport your car back to the UK on a multi-car lorry. Prices range from £600 + VAT to £950 + VAT depending on your location in Spain and we run a fortnightly service for our clients.

Vehicle modifications and type approval for your Spanish car:

For cars that are under ten years old, on arrival in the UK, your car will need to comply to UK type approval. We can either do this with a process called mutual recognition or through IVA testing. For the cars over 10 years old, they will need to pass an MOT test, checking components of the car for safety and roadworthiness.

Every car is different and every manufacturer has different support standards for assisting their clients through the import process, so please enquire so we can discuss the optimum speed and cost option for your individual circumstances.

We manage the whole process on your behalf, whether that is dealing with the homologation team of your car’s manufacturer or the Department for Transport, so you can relax in the knowledge that you will be legally registered with the DVLA in the shortest time possible.

Left hand drive cars from Spain will require some modifications, including those to the headlight pattern to avoid glare for oncoming traffic, the speedo to display the miles per hour reading and the rear fog light if it is not already universally compliant.

We have built an extensive catalogue of the makes and models of car we have imported so can give you a quick cost estimate of what your individual car will require.

Over 10-year-old cars and classics are type approval exempt, but still require an MOT test and certain modifications prior to registration. The modifications depend on the age but are generally to the headlights and rear fog light. Vehicles over 40 years old do not require any testing and we can register the car remotely whilst it is at your UK address.

Frequently asked Questions

Can you transport my car from Spain to the United Kingdom?

Absolutely. To transport a car from Spain to the UK, you have several options available. The most common methods include road transportation and shipping via a RoRo (Roll-on/Roll-off) vessel or in a shipping container. We usually use offer road freight as it is often the cheapest way to get your car back from Spain to the United Kingdom.

Here’s an overview of each option:

Road Transportation: If you choose road transportation, a professional car transporter will drive your car from Spain to the UK. The journey time can vary depending on the specific route and any potential delays at border crossings. On average, it can take around 2 to 5 days.

RoRo Vessel: Roll-on/Roll-off vessels are designed to carry cars. Your car will be driven onto the vessel at a Spanish port and then driven off at a UK port. The shipping time is typically between 2 to 5 days, depending on the chosen route and carrier.

Shipping Container: Another option is to transport your car in a shipping container. The car will be securely loaded into the container and transported by sea. The shipping time is generally longer compared to RoRo, typically ranging from 5 to 10 days.

Please note that these are just estimated timeframes.

If you choose My Car Import to get your car here and then registered don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Can I drive my car to the United Kingdom from Spain?

Yes, and you can drive a car from Spain in the UK. However, there are a few important considerations and requirements to keep in mind:

Driving License: Ensure that you have a valid driving license that is accepted in both Spain and the UK. If you have a driving license issued in an EU/EEA country, it is generally valid for driving in the UK. If you have a non-EU/EEA driving license, you may need to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) alongside your license.

Vehicle Registration: If you are planning to drive your own car from Spain to the UK, you should ensure that your car is properly registered and insured in Spain. It is recommended to contact your insurance provider to confirm the coverage for driving in the UK.

Temporary Import: For a temporary visit, you can drive your Spanish-registered car in the UK without needing to register it there, as long as the car remains registered and insured in Spain. There are usually time limits on how long you can drive a foreign-registered car in the UK before it needs to be registered there.

Customs and Border Controls: When crossing the border between Spain and the UK, you will need to pass through customs and border controls. Ensure that you have all the required documentation, such as your passport, car registration documents, and proof of insurance, readily available for inspection.

Driving Regulations: Familiarize yourself with the driving regulations and rules of the UK, including road signage, speed limits, and other traffic laws that may differ from Spain. Drive on the left-hand side of the road in the UK.

It is always recommended to check with the relevant authorities, such as the UK Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), for the most up-to-date information and requirements when driving a foreign-registered car in the UK.

What documents do I need to import my car from Spain to the UK?

Here are a few of the common documents you might need depending on whether or not you are a transferring resident:

  • Vehicle registration documents
  • Proof of ownership
  • Valid driving license
  • Passport or ID
Get a quote