MOT exemption for cars over 40 years old

What does this mean MOT’ing your classic and for importing and registering cars in the UK?

From 20th May onwards, cars more than 40 years old will no longer an MOT to remain on UK roads. This legislation is applicable on a rolling basis, meaning that is your car is registered on the 14th June, 1978 – after 14th June 2018, your car will no longer need to be MOT’d.

The exceptions…

The clause in the new legislation that has caused a fair amount of confusion is the applicability of the legislation if the vehicle’s main components have been substantially changed in the past 30 years.

The vehicle’s main components are:

  • Chassis and Monocoque
  • Axles and running gear
  • Engine changes

However, these substantial changes can be excused, if:

  • The changes were made to preserve the vehicle or because no original parts are available
  • The changes were during conventional use of the vehicle after production (up to ten years after production)
  • Changes to the main components were made to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance

Is there anything that is not exempt?

There are still vehicles this doesn’t apply to, and for good reason.

Any large goods vehicles that weight over 3.5 tonnes and buses that are over 40 years old will not be exempt. Obvious concerns about the road worthiness of commercial and vehicles with the ability to transport large volumes of passengers remains a concern to the DVSA for road worthiness.

Cars and motorbikes with a Q registration are also not exempt, as often these vehicles have been assembled from all different makes and models and are defined as ‘reconstructed classic vehicles’.

How do I apply for this and what do I do after?

The owner is responsible to keep the vehicle in a roadworthy condition if you are MOT exempt. It is believed that many owners will still voluntarily MOT test there cars to ensure that this is the case.

To apply for the exemption if your car is registered in the UK, you need to apply for it to be a ‘Vehicle of Historic Interest’ or ‘VHI’. You can do this by filling in a V112 declaration form from the government.

What does this mean for imports?

Importing and registering a car in the UK that is over 40 years old has, on the face of it, has become more accessible. Road worthiness still has to be the owner’s key concern and liability. However registration is more achievable as the supporting paperwork has become smaller.

My Car Import have now registered cars over 40 years old under this new legislation and can assist you with registering an imported car. We are import specialists with a vast contact network to not only got your car compliant but to also register it with the DVLA, ready to have it driving on UK roads.

To find out more about registering a car and if we can help you with our services either fill out the form below, or give us a call on +44 (0) 1332 810 442.


We offer the complete vehicle import service


See some of the latest vehicles we have imported

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No posts found.

Make sure this account has posts available on


Decades of experience

  • JC
    Jack Charlesworth
    An expert in having anything from supercar to supermini imported and registered in the UK
  • Tim Website
    Tim Charlesworth
    With decades of car import and sales experience, there is no scenario Tim has not dealt with
  • Will Smith
    Will Smith
    Will markets the business, deals with enquiries, trade clients and drives the business into new territory.
  • MOT Exempt Registrations
    Vikki Walker
    Office Administrator
    Vikki keeps the cogs turning in the business and manages all the administration tasks involved in the business.
  • Phil Mobley
    Phil Mobley
    Phil deals with clients from all around the world and helps them every step of the way.
  • Jade Website
    Jade Williamson
    Registration and Testing
    Jade is an expert in vehicle testing and registration submissions in the UK.


What our clients say

Get a quote to import your vehicle with My Car Import

My Car Import has successfully performed thousands of vehicle imports from start to finish. Wherever your vehicle is in the world, we will be able to handle every step of your import and registration process. We have a worldwide network of agents on every continent to give us up to date local knowledge and confidence wherever your vehicle is located.

We are the only car importer in the UK to have made a considerable investment in a DVSA approved testing facility for our site. This means DVSA inspectors use our onsite testing lane to issue individual type approvals to our client’s vehicles. With our worldwide presence and ongoing commitment to all aspects of UK compliance, we are the market leaders in our field.

Get a quote to import and register your vehicle in the United Kingdom?

My Car Import has successfully performed registrations for thousands of imported vehicles. Wherever your vehicle is in the world, we will be able to handle every step of your import and registration process.

With our worldwide presence and ongoing commitment to all aspects of UK compliance, we are the market leaders in our field. Whether you are personally importing your vehicle, commercially importing multiple vehicles, or trying to gain low volume type approvals for vehicles you are manufacturing, we have the knowledge and facilities to meet all of your requirements.

Don't hesitate to fill out our quote request form so that we can provide a quotation for the importation of your vehicle to the United Kingdom.