The UK’s Leading Car Importers


The UK’s Leading Car Importers

Importing a Car From The EU to The UK

We are specialists in UK registrations using a Certificate of Conformity.

You can buy your certificate from us and also have it registered – a full one stop service!

Importing your vehicle to the UK from Europe?

Most of the cars we register from Europe are driven to the UK by their owners and are already here, simply requiring the import registration processing with a Certificate of Conformity, the VCA and DVLA. We can handle the whole process of transporting your car from any EU member state to the UK if needed.

We mostly truck the cars by road on fully insured transporter vehicles, but also offer roll on roll off shipping services from more remote areas. During transit your vehicle is fully insured and in most circumstances will be delivered to our premises, however, a small number of our clients prefer to have the vehicle delivered to them and simply use our services to process any paperwork required by the DVLA to register the vehicle. This is dependant on many vehicle specific factors so don’t hesitate to get in touch if you are unsure.

If you would like to drive the vehicle on arrival in the United Kingdom and simply require our services for dealing with the paperwork. Please check the insurance for driving your vehicle in the United Kingdom. It might be invalid but do not hesitate to get in touch should you require insurance – we use a number of insurers who can insure a vehicle using the VIN number. 

Is your vehicles Under 10 Years Old?

On arrival in the UK, your vehicle will need to comply to UK type approval. We can either do this with a process called mutual recognition or through IVA testing.

Every car is different and every manufacturer has different support standards for assisting their clients through the import process, so please enquire so we can discuss the optimum speed and cost option for your individual circumstances.

We manage the whole process on your behalf, whether that be dealing with the homologation team of your vehicle’s manufacturer or the Department for Transport, so you can relax in the knowledge that you will be legally registered with the DVLA in the shortest time possible.

Left hand drive cars from Europe will require some modifications, including those to the headlight pattern to avoid glare for oncoming traffic, the speedo to display the miles per hour reading and the rear fog light if it is not already universally compliant.

We have built an extensive catalogue of the makes and models of vehicle we have imported so can give you a quick cost estimate of what your individual car will require.


Is your vehicle over 10 years old?

Vehicles from within the EU that are over ten years old are type approval exempt. This does not mean that they don’t require any modifications or work to be completed before they can be registered – but it does make the route to registration much more modest.

Slider 10

In the United Kingdom vehicles must be ‘roadworthy’ and they will require an MOT to prove that they are fit for purpose, and safe.

The most vehicle may require minor modifications to adjust the beam pattern to ensure the lights to not blind other road users. Rear fog lights are also required in the United Kingdom, so these will need fitting if the vehicle does not have one.

However, all modifications generally depend on the vehicle itself.

Importing from outside the EU?

My Car Import deals with vehicles from all over the world, find out more by clicking below!

What are the rules on temporarily importing your vehicle?

If you aren’t planning on residing in the United Kingdom for an extensive length of time, and the vehicle is already in the EU then you can use your foreign plates without registering or taxing your vehicle in the UK.

This is only allowed if you are only visiting the United Kingdom and do not plan to live here. For any permanent residency – a registration of your vehicle will be required.

The vehicle must be registered, taxed, and insured in the country of origin. Failure to do so could create issues should there be an accident.

Your vehicle can only reside in the United Kingdom for a total of 6 months. Although if it is for numerous short visits over a 12 month period that is also acceptable.

If you decide to keep your vehicle in the United Kingdom for a period longer than that, please don’t hesitate to get in touch regarding registration.


UK Number Plates & DVLA Registration

As we successfully lobbied for our clients to have access to our own My Car Import dedicated DVLA Account Manager, on passing the testing phase, the registration can be approved far quicker than alternative methods.

We can then fit your new UK number plates and have the vehicle ready for either collection or delivery to a location of your choice.

A streamlined, convenient process that has been tailored over many years, importing a car from Europe to the UK couldn’t be easier. To run through your requirements and find out more, contact us today on +44 (0) 1332 81 0442.


We offer the complete import service


Decades of experience

  • JC
    Jack Charlesworth
    An expert in having anything from supercar to supermini imported and registered in the UK
  • Tim Website
    Tim Charlesworth
    With decades of car import and sales experience, there is no scenario Tim has not dealt with
  • Will Smith
    Will Smith
    Will markets the business, deals with enquiries, trade clients and drives the business into new territory.
  • VW
    Vikki Walker
    Office Administrator
    Vikki keeps the cogs turning in the business and manages all the administration tasks involved in the business.
  • Phil Mobley
    Phil Mobley
    Phil deals with clients from all around the world and helps them every step of the way.
  • Jade Website
    Jade Williamson
    Registration and Testing
    Jade is an expert in vehicle testing and registration submissions in the UK.


What our clients say