Whether you’re moving back to the UK from Malaysia or have sold a vehicle to a buyer over here, working out how to get your car from A to B can be a bit of a conundrum. Thankfully, to ease you of any stress and worry, we at My Car Import are on hand to complete the whole process for you, taking care of each and every step along the way.
The prospect of completing the process yourself can be understandably daunting, especially when you consider the number of stages involved in getting your car from Malaysia to the UK.
Acquiring Export Plates
The first thing you will need to do before we can set to work is acquire the correct export plates, and in doing so deregister the vehicle in Malaysia. This is a fairly straightforward process that we can offer guidance on and, after receiving the new plates, your vehicle is ready to be shipped.
Shipment Loading in Malaysia
We have our own agents on the ground in Malaysia so you will know exactly who to leave your vehicle with and can have the confidence that it is in safe hands. On taking delivery, they will then load and secure it in the shipping container ready for the journey to the UK.
If you would like further assurance, we offer optional transit insurance policies that cover you up to the replacement value of the vehicle for the duration of its travels.
Import Tax Regulation in the UK
In order to bring the vehicle into the UK, there is a strong possibility that you will need to pay import tax and VAT.
Should you be moving to the UK permanently to be reunited with your car on its arrival, you will be able to import the car without any tax payments as long as certain criteria are met:
- You must have lived outside of the EU for over 12 months
- You must have owned the car for a minimum of 6 months prior to import
If the above guidelines are not met, the following import tax and VAT payments will be required. These are calculated based on the amount you paid for the vehicle and where it was built.
- £50 duty and 20% VAT for cars built in the EU
- 10% duty and 20% VAT for cars built outside of the EU
If you are bringing a classic car from Malaysia to the UK or any vehicle that is over 30 years old, by meeting set conditions, you can qualify for a reduced rate of VAT at just 5%.
Testing & Modifications in Our Facility
On arrival from Malaysia, there will be differences in the vehicle’s suitability between there and the roads in the UK, so certain testing and modifications must be conducted before the DVLA will approve registration and it can leave our facility.
Just some of the many modifications we complete in our workshops include changing the speedometer to mph, unless this can be done digitally, as well as adjusting the headlight settings to meet UK regulations and fitting a rear fog light if there isn’t one as standard.
Alongside modifications, the vehicle will also need to be tested, which we can again complete on our site. We have our own approved IVA test lane for passenger vehicles, being the only import company in the country to do so, which therefore enables us to complete the required IVA test for vehicles under ten years old far quicker than Government run centres can.
For older vehicles, an MOT is required to test various safety aspects and ensure the vehicle is roadworthy. Our team will do this for you and resolve any issues that may arise along the way.
Exclusive DVLA Account Manager for Registrations
Our customers are incredibly fortunate to have access to a DVLA Account Manager who is exclusively available to My Car Import. This ensures registration applications can be processed and approved quickly and your vehicle is free to leave our centre.
We’ll fit your new numbers plates before arranging with you a suitable time for collection or the onward transport to your chosen location.
We are immensely proud of our ability to complete the whole process with the minimum amount of hassle for you, so why not give us a call today on +44 (0) 1332 81 0442 to discuss how we can help you ship a car from Malaysia to the UK.
Decades of experience
- Jack CharlesworthMANAGING DIRECTORAn expert in having anything from supercar to supermini imported and registered in the UKSKILL LEVEL
- Tim CharlesworthDIRECTORWith decades of car import and sales experience, there is no scenario Tim has not dealt withSKILL LEVEL
- Will SmithBUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTORWill markets the business, deals with enquiries, trade clients and drives the business into new territory.SKILL LEVEL
- Vikki WalkerOffice AdministratorVikki keeps the cogs turning in the business and manages all the administration tasks involved in the business.SKILL LEVEL
- Phil MobleyINTERNATIONAL LOGISTICS MANAGERPhil deals with clients from all around the world and helps them every step of the way.SKILL LEVEL
- Jade WilliamsonRegistration and TestingJade is an expert in vehicle testing and registration submissions in the UK.SKILL LEVEL
What our clients say
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Toyota FJ Cruiser
2008 Ferrari F430 Scuderia
2015 Mitsubishi Pajero
Frequently asked Questions
Here are a few of the most commonly asked questions we receive regarding shipping