Customs Import Duty UK & VAT when importing a vehicle into the UK

Any vehicle that is being imported into the UK requires it to be ‘cleared’ through customs

With decades of experience dealing with UK customs, My Car Import have become experts in customs clearance, clearing vehicles through the process regardless if they have come inside or outside Europe or type of transportation.

For any imports outside of Europe, our customs handling also involves HMRC NOVA system administration. For any imports within Europe, we also assist HMRC and notify them of arrival, in order to obtain a NOVA reference for the DVLA.

Having a car import expert ensures that no mistakes are made with the variety of custom clearance processes that apply to differing cars, depending on age, place of manufacture, type of vehicle, ownership and more. Our ultimate goal is to make the whole process of importing and clearing customs as easy as possible.

Private vehicle imports into the UK

Vehicle imports that are for a private individual are often referred to as a ‘private import’. We assist with the process of importing your vehicle and as explained above we manage the process of ‘clearing’ your vehicle into the United Kingdom.

A private import will have tax and duty applied upon entering in the UK. It is not considered a private import if you are applying for tax relief through the TOR (transfer of residency) scheme.

Commercial imports?

All of the same rules apply for the importation of vehicles for commercial use except for a VAT number is required to ensure you can claim back the VAT. The process for paying taxes is slightly different for a commercial vehicle but we are on hand to help you with any queries.

Temporary imports?

If you are planning on using your vehicle for a short period of time in the United Kingdom it does not need to be registered permanently in the UK.

In most cases if the vehicle is only going to be in the UK for a period of six months, it can be temporarily imported.


Decades of experience

  • JC
    Jack Charlesworth
    An expert in having anything from supercar to supermini imported and registered in the UK
  • Tim Website
    Tim Charlesworth
    With decades of car import and sales experience, there is no scenario Tim has not dealt with
  • Will Smith
    Will Smith
    Will markets the business, deals with enquiries, trade clients and drives the business into new territory.
  • UK Customs
    Vikki Walker
    Office Administrator
    Vikki keeps the cogs turning in the business and manages all the administration tasks involved in the business.
  • Phil Mobley
    Phil Mobley
    Phil deals with clients from all around the world and helps them every step of the way.
  • Jade Website
    Jade Williamson
    Registration and Testing
    Jade is an expert in vehicle testing and registration submissions in the UK.


What our clients say