What is transfer of residence UK?

You are here:
Estimated reading time: 1 min

TOR Scheme

The transfer of residence scheme was introduced to help individuals to move to the United Kingdom without having to pay VAT or Duties on their possessions. If you have lived outside of the European Union and would like to make the UK your new primary place of residence then you might qualify for the scheme.

You must have lived outside of the EU for 12 months and owned what you are planning to bring with you for 6 months. If you are planning on bringing your vehicle then it will fall under the TOR relief so long as you have owned it for over 6 months.

The only caveat to the transfer of residence scheme is that you can’t sell anything that you ‘import’ for a period of 12 months after they arrive in the United Kingdom.

My Car Import can assist with the process of importing your vehicle so don’t hesitate to get in touch if you are thinking about bringing it with you. If the vehicle is not imported with the TOR relief then it can be liable for customs tax. It’s a great way to get a vehicle without having to buy one when you move to the UK.

We have helped countless customers import their vehicles and more often than not they choose to bring all of their possessions in the car so the moving costs are greatly reduced in some respects.

Whilst we can’t fill in your TOR application for you we can provide guidance on any questions that you might have so please rest assured that you are in good hands.


Please note that as of Brexit the ToR applies to anywhere outside of the United Kingdom so it is an excellent way to bring your vehicle in tax-free.

We can help to guide you through any questions you might have regarding tax once you are a customer so don’t worry!

Was this article helpful?
Dislike 0
Views: 1261
[contact-form-7 id="12857"]
en English